Today is a big day with lots of exciting announcements! We've got an amazing new sewing class, a much-requested pattern in extended sizing, and a new pattern bonus for said pattern. A lil' something for everyone folks! Let's dig into it.
Our Latest Sewing Class
First up... our latest online sewing class, Learn to Sew Pants + Trousers! Traditionally we've offered classes for more beginner-level sewing (like Learn to Sew) and then jump to more advanced skills like jean-making and tailoring. Up till now, we've been missing something at the intermediate level, and we are so excited to offer this new class to you. It's a great bridge to more advanced techniques while still being approachable and fun, and you'll end up with a wardrobe full of classic trousers you'll get years of wear from.
Tailored trousers and pants offer so many opportunities for skill-building and expanding your sewing repertoire. If you're feeling stuck at a more beginner level, or just want some friendly hand-holding while you work your way through sewing pants, we've got you covered! While I'll be teaching on camera, our education coordinator Monserratt and I designed the curriculum to help walk you through everything you need to make trousers on your own, no head scratching or frustration necessary. From finding the best fabrics, interfacings and supplies, to choosing the right size, we'll get you started on the right foot. Then we'll dive into all the professional techniques we use to create gorgeous pants and trousers, including closures like the unfairly maligned fly front zipper, multiple waistband finishes, and every kind of pocket under the sun, from patch to welt to slant. Along the way, I'll share all the sewing tips and tricks I've learned over the years – think of it like having a super positive, expert friend in your sewing room helping you every step of the way.
Best of all, the class includes your choice of three of our bestselling trouser patterns. Here are the patterns we are including with enrollment:
- Our Mitchell Trousers are a dreamy pleated trouser with a high waist and sleek waistband facing in lieu of a traditional waistband. They come with a wide or tapered leg and are loaded with beautiful details we'll cover in class. You can enroll with Mitchell as a PDF (sizes 0-20 and 14-32) or in print (sizes 0-20).
- Our Jenny Overalls + Trousers are a perpetual community fave, and while they are most known for their glammed-up overalls view, they also offer a beautiful flat front trouser and shorts option as well! This is what we'll be focusing on in class, from the somewhat complex lapped zipper to sewing the most beautiful curved patch pockets and waistbands. Best of all you can use our new free pattern bonus (more on that in a minute) to make a tapered pair if an uber-wide leg isn't your jam. You can enroll with Jenny as a PDF (sizes 0-20 and 14-32) or in print (sizes 0-20).
- Last but not least, we also decided to include the Sasha Trousers as an option for this class. Sasha is only currently available in sizes 0-20, but since we cover all the techniques for this pattern, it seemed a shame not to include it. Sasha is a flat front trouser designed for stretch wovens and is a PDF-only pattern.
We've also given you the option to bundle patterns with enrollment or choose no pattern at all if you already have a pattern in your stash, or want to use a trouser pattern from another company. The skills you'll learn are universal and are applicable to any tailored pants pattern out there, including men's trousers. Pants for everyone!
Of course, like all our classes, you can watch anytime and anywhere, and your class never expires. We recently moved to a new class platform called Mighty Networks, and we are super excited about the new community opportunity for our students. We'll have a forum for you and your fellow students, which is a supportive and private place to share what you're making, ask for help when you need it, and get to know folks on their own sewing journeys. Monserratt will also be on hand to answer any questions you have, so you can count on personal support if you need help or get stuck.
One thing to note - we don't cover pants fitting in this class. While we will help you choose the correct size, pants fitting is a much broader topic that we are hoping to expand upon in a future class. In the meantime, you can always use our amazing Pants Fitting Guide for help, and Monserratt will be happy to help you diagnose any fitting issues you encounter in the students-only forum.
Celebrate Thanksgiver and get Learn to Sew Trousers for 20% off until Sunday, October 15th at midnight EST!
Jenny in Extended Sizing + Pattern Bonus!
We are thrilled to finally offer our Jenny Overalls + Trousers in sizes 14-32. Jenny is a super elevated take on overalls in addition to a beautiful pair of trousers and shorts. The original pattern had a wide leg with a cropped or full length option, but since we were updating this pattern we thought it would be fun to give you a free bonus leg as well! Our new tapered leg bonus is for a slimmer, slightly cropped leg that makes it possible to make 6 different combinations of trousers, shorts and overalls. Pretty sweet! Read on to learn more about how to access the new size range and pattern bonus.
Pattern Update Details
As with our other re-releases in extended sizing, if you have purchased this pattern in the past in PDF format you get access to the updated files for free! Here’s how to access the updated pattern if you've already purchased the PDF:
- Today we sent an email update from our file host, Send Owl, with an updated download link. If you have purchased a PDF of Jenny in the past, please check your inbox for this message.
- Still can’t find the email? You can get links to any pattern you’ve ever purchased by entering the email address you used to make a purchase here at any time. You should be able to access every PDF file you've purchased in the last few years.
- If you purchased it more than three years ago, you may not be in our system anymore. Email us with proof of purchase and we'll be happy to send you the updated file.
- Note you'll also be able to access the pattern bonus with this pattern update! Your link should include the bonus files.
Please note we can only offer this pattern update if you've purchased a PDF copy; digital updates are not available for print patterns.
Jenny Pattern Bonus
For all new PDF purchases of Jenny, the pattern bonus will be available when you download your files after checkout. If you've purchased a print copy of Jenny in the past, we wanted to make it super easy to access, so you can now find the Jenny Bonus Tapered Leg in our Sewing Resource Library. Please note you have to sign up for our mailing list to get the password to access it. Alternatively, you can enter your email address here and if you purchased a PDF in the past, you can access it here along with the new extended-size files.
Celebrate Thanksgiver and get Jenny for 20% off until Sunday, October 15th at midnight EST!